To go traditional in book publishing is something you should strive for, especially if you don’t have the chance to be so involved in the processes of Self-publishing. More so, if you publish with the right company, traditional publishing pays a lot.
This article would focus on one of the Leading Trado-publisher in Nigeria, Farafina Publishers Nigeria. Find below the requirements needed to get your book published with them. Please ensure you have edited the grammar, punctuation and the rest.
1. Know What They Want: In their words
” We are looking for literary and popular fiction, general interest and children’s/educational books. We are interested in both established and previously unpublished writers.
We do not currently publish poetry, motivational, self-help or religious books under Farafina. To have such works published, please consider the services of our subsidy imprint, Prestige Publishing.”
2. Send An Excerpt: Save a reasonable amount of your work or 3 chapters of your work on a word document. These chapters do not necessarrily have to be the beginning of the novel. In fact, send the best parts and not those parts that are yawning.
3. Send Synopsis not blurb or Teaser: Synopsis is what the editors read after they have read some parts of your novel. The synopsis gives them details on the main theme, major character and the major conflict.
Where as, a teaser is just to catch the readers’ attention. For example:
The Enchanted Swans by Christy Nicholas
Fionnuala must care for her three brothers while learning to live under an evil curse. Will she find a way to break the spell, or will they remain swans, tethered to three places for nine hundred years?
Meanwhile, Blurbs are quotes from other people on your book.
Farafina Book Publishers would accept such.
3. Format Your Work: Use the following format for any work you want to send to them;
- Double spacing
- justify to the left.
- 12 serif font.
4. Write a query letter: try as much as you can to theß get name of editors at Farafina. A query letter is like an application letter
5. Send email to email@example.com. Don’t send it to any of their other emails. They would consider it as an unsolicited work and would send them to the trash without looking at it.
6. Give it the title ‘submission‘
7. No hard Copy: they don’t accept hard copies or links to your blog.
8. Wait For Eight Weeks: although they reply earlier than that, it is always advisable to not have your hopes high.
9. If Accepted: they would offer you a contract and royalty format. You’re not paying any dime.
Question:What’s delaying you?
Are You Having Problem Doing It Yourself, then send your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. We would help the first 10 people to work on it for free. Others, you will be charged 500 nairG